Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Paul McCartney in Concert







Last night, a dream came true for me. Nate took me to see Sir Paul in concert at the Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake for a one night only, sold out show. Nate and I rocked along with 25,000 screaming fans, but it felt as if Paul was singing to me and me alone. Those of you who read this blog know me well enough to understand my long abiding love for all things Beatles, so I'm sure that you know this concert means more to me than most anything I have ever experienced in my whole life! The set list was a wonderful mix of Beatles tunes, Wings hits, and Paul's own solo work. I think he only played maybe one song that I didn't recognize. My favorite song of the evening was "Live and Let Die." For this song only, there was an amazing pyrotechnic display-flames on the stage and full on fireworks shooting above. It's funny, when you see the old tapes of when the Beatles played their live shows, with girls screaming and crying, visibly moved by the music. Well, I can honestly say that I was definitely a 21st century screaming girl, going crazy for Paul! (I almost cried a few times, but we won't go into that...) Another thing that was interesting was the fans in the stadium. I have been to a few concerts in my time, and I have never seen such a wide age base at a concert before. Kids as young as 5 or 6 rocking out next to their parents and grandparents! I'm sure that I saw many multi-generational families in attendance. I think that this really says a lot for the music of the Beatles. The music speaks to everyone, regardless of their age. You didn't have to live in the 60's to appreciate this amazing music. Paul is now in his late 60's, and there is no guarantee that he will ever come to Utah again, let alone plan another tour, so I will appreciate this concert as a likely once in a lifetime experience for me. It was definitely unforgettable.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow! What a neat experience for you, Rachel. It sounds like it was a blast. I'm jealous!

Nikki said...

....and Rachel died and went to Heaven!!!