Saturday, October 1, 2011

UpStart


This is the second year that I have had my kids involved in the Utah UPSTART program, and I just wanted to say a few words about it here.  We love this awesome program!  It is funded by the Utah Legislature, and it focuses on giving preschoolers solid reading skills.  The program also covers math and science, and it is a joy to use.  What I love about the curriculum (besides it being free, lol) is that the material reaches to the 2nd grade level, so it is great for both Benny and Sylvia.  For my kiddos, an interactive computer program is perfect, and they think they're just playing "fun games."  They have no idea that they're really immersed in learning!  It has been amazing watching Ben, with all his little quirks, begin to really understand and enjoy reading.  Today, I caught him reading on his own, and I couldn't have been happier!  At this point, parents in Utah have to pre-register and get on a waiting list to be part of the program, but I would love to see this type of thing be available to all preschoolers across the state free of charge.  

No comments: